Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mother Nature has touched our lives again....with a BABY!

I actually wrote this entry on Monday, December 13th, 2010 but wasn't ready to post it until now!
**********************************************************************************
Monday, December 12th, 2010

When Matt and I first started dating we made two things abundantly clear to each other. I did not want to get married. Ever Again. Matt did not want kids. Although Matt did plan to marry one day and I wanted kids more than anything....we moved forward with our relationship.

Our first date was December 15th, 2007. Almost three years ago to the day! Time sure does have a way of changing things.

Although in December of '07 I swore I would never marry again, today is the one month anniversary of our marriage. With each passing day I am more grateful that Matt was the man to change my mind about marriage.

Despite Matt swearing in December of '07 that he didn't want kids, he (and I!) are thrilled to be 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant!!! At some point while I was changing my mind about marriage, Matt was changing his about kids.
Little bean at 8 weeks

On Wednesday, December 1st I attended our weekly meeting at work. My new boss starts meetings with ice breaker questions, and today's question was "What do you want for Christmas?" I went the mushy route and said that I didn't want anything, that I was just happy to be married and happy that Gram would be moved into her new house in GA for the holidays. Apparently my new boss had gotten to know me pretty well in a short period of time because she simply said  "You want a baby for Christmas!" before moving onto the next person. She was right, but I had already tested negative 4 or 5 days earlier. :(

The next morning my hands shook and heart pumped as I held a new test. This one featured a great big positive PLUS sign. YAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S FINALLY MY TURN!!!!!! I have been truly deeply happy for all of my friends and loved ones who have been blessed with babies, but I think God Must have known that I was going to shrivel up and die if one more person got to spread the baby news before me.

I wish I had a really cute story about the way I shared the big news with Matt. Unfotunately he had already left for work when I took the test and there wasn't a chance in hell I was going to be able to keep this news a secret all day. So....I called him. He didn't sound excited at all!!! He said "you know babe, stress can make those things come back positive". BUUUUUUUZ KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILL. Hehehe....maybe it was just Matt's "level headedness" coming into play, or maybe it just hadn't sunk in. I was craving the kid of reaction that I was having so I asked if I could call my mom. "No." 
"My sister?"
"No. Not until we are sure."
"Fine. Then I am going to stop at the drugstore and get another test. I'll call you on my lunch break."
"I'm sure you will"

I kid you not, an hour later I got a text saying "Can I tell my mom?" The excitement was finally hitting him!
Over the next couple of days we shared our special secret with Mom's, Dad's, Sister's, and Brother's. We also told our friends Jeff and Katie because it would take them one glance at me to figure it out. It would have gone something like this: "No cocktail? You are pregnant!!!"

As of today, the excitement is building and I am a ball of nerves. Growing a baby in your belly is a big responsibility! Right now our little meatball is more the size of a pea, but we are starting to form eyes, ears, nose, cheeks, and chin. Within a week or so our tiny webbed feet and hands will start to wiggle. Although Mom and Dad will have to wait until the 29th to hear it, there is a tiny heartbeat too.

********************************************************************************

We are now 12 weeks and 4 days along, and the nerves have subsided quite a bit. Baby is no longer the size of pea....we are almost the size of a peach! We've been busy over the past 7 weeks! Hearing the heartbeat was AMAZING. 170 beats per minute. I teased Matt that it must be a girl with a heart rate that high. (My dad swears by the rule that a fast heart rate means girl. He had 3 girls.....all with fast heart rates) Matt teases me that since I haven't been plagued with terrible symptoms it must be boy. Only a few more weeks until we know for sure. Truth be told, we are just like every other parent and we just want a healthy baby with 10 little fingers and 10 little toes. There will be so much to tell over the upcoming months (baby is due August 10th) so stay tuned! Lots of Love.

While we don't know if baby is a boy or a girl...we do know that we will have a Tech fan! These items are only a sample of the arsenal of baby Tech gear we have already collected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment