Saturday, December 31, 2011

Soup. Soup "A" Doup.

I didn't think I was going to get this up before soup season was over but Miles is napping longer than usuall so we'll see if I can get this thing posted. I mentioned before that I enjoy trying recipes that I find in unusual places. This one was in the back of a book called Too Late to Say Goodbye. Its the true story of an Atlanta woman who was murdered by her husband. This book is a chilling read, and I recommend giving it a shot. Weird place to get a recipe, I know, but each time I make it I reflet on this woman and her family.  I imagine is the reason the recipe was published in the book in the first place. I guess it's an example of how food evokes memories and can keep a person with us even if they are gone. Turns out this is my personal favorite soup recipe. Anyhow...here we go.



Ingredients:
12 cups chicken broth
1 butternut squash cooked at 400 for 1 hour.
2tbs olive oil
1 package kielbasa sausage
2 cans corn or 2 cups fresh corn (I've made it both ways. We all know..fresh is better...cans are convenient)
1 box Wild Rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
1.5 cups half and half or heavy cream
2 large sweet onions chopped
Fresh ground pepper (yeah right. I use it right out of my shaker thank you very much)
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon parsley (I've made this recipe MANY times and have never used the parsley)



Bring 4 cups broth and 1/2 cups onions to simmer.

Woops! Forgot the most important part! Don't forget your cocktail. I mixed a little of this apple pie moonshine with Apple Cider. Tasty. *Note - I got a little carried away with the cocktails and missed a few pictures. I hope this doesn't confuse an anyone! :)

While you wait for the simmer, peel your cooked squash, remove seeds, cut it into similar sized chunks and puree. You might want to add a little chicken broth here.

Once your broth and onions are simmering, add the rice. The recipe doesn't say what to do with the seasoning packet. I throw it in there too. Cook until rice is tender stirring occasionally. Put in bowl to cool.


In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and brown cut up sausage, remaining chopped onions, and corn. Saute for 3 minutes.

Add pureed squash and remaining chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, and then turn down to simmer for 20 minutes.


While you wait, hug a baby if you have one handy.


Skim off any excess fat.
Stir in the rice and cook for 10 minutes



Should be smelling pretty good at this point. Might have to swat the husband away if you want to have any left for dinner. Remove from heat and stir in cream and (if you must go the extra mile) top with your fresh cut parsley.



Yum Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Too Funny!
    I heard of cooking with wine but never moonshine!

    You get yourself some of that corn squeezing's, a banjo, and a couch on the front porch and you'll be ALL SET!

    ReplyDelete