Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Downsized

 Almost everyone knows that I LOVE to read (hence my frequent facebook jokes about how I love my Kindle more than my husband), but not as many people know that I am also a total television junkie....in the worst way. It started way back during Real World New Orleans and my weekly tradition of both trashy reality shows and girly weeknight drama's has grown exponentially since then. Desperate Housewives. Grey's Anatomy. Army Wives. Real Housewives of Atlanta, New Jersey, New York, Beverly Hills, DC, and Orange County. 16 and Pregnant. Teen Mom. Intervention. Psychic Kids. American Idol. Top Chef. Hell's Kitchen. It's sick. I know. The worst part is that I have surely left out at least half. God Bless my husband for putting up with my hobbies and God Bless the invention of the DVR!!!
 Recently I have gotten into this new show (and therefore dragged Matt into it also) called "Downsized" and, gasp, it might actually have some content that can be learned from! Downsized follows the story of a family whose business at one time brought in over a million dollars a year. Today the company has been lost due to the downfall of the housing market, their home has been foreclosed upon, and they scrape by to pay rent on a townhouse where the husband and wife live with their SEVEN kids. This show had me feeling mad, sad, and, glad depending on the scene. When one of their tween boys sells his beloved top-end baseball glove for the $100 that the family is short on their already extended rent, I wasn't sure which of those emotions I felt. I guess all three. Either way, this show got me thinking about some of the not-so-smart ways I spend money. So, being a newlywed I figured now would be a good time to step up the financial responsibility and I resolved that I was going to research money saving methods. This is how I came across what might be one of my new favorite websites. www.moneysavingmom.com.
Now, I haven't had the chance yet to dive too deep into the site, but one of the first tips I found was "Do not pay retail for anything." So I ask myself, "What is something I pay full price for that is probably too expensive?" and as a "money saving mom" to Bella Boo, the first thing that came to mind was Bella's divalicious hair cuts. No exaggeration, her hair-do's cost more than mine. Anyway, I kid you not it took me all of two seconds to find a coupon for $5.00 off at a groomer no more than ten minutes from my house. Now, $5.00 may not seem like much but Bells needs to stay as sexy as the next bitch so we have to stay on top of the "do". This means a hair cut at least every two months. That means 6 a year. Even if I couldn't find a better deal out there (which I'm sure if I spent more than two seconds looking, I could) that means $30 bucks a year. It took me two seconds to earn that $30 bucks! I like it. MoneySavingMom is a pretty extensive website from what I can tells so I feel pretty confident I can find a couple other tip and tricks to money savings. The possibilities are endless.......
LOL....most of you should know that I'm a little more realistic than to actually think I'll be capable of sticking to most of these money strategies.  This "money saving mom" thing will probably end up being a short lived hobby, but even if a few good habits rub off, I think it's worth my time. I know it's definitely more beneficial than my bad television habits which include watching other rich ladies of Atlanta, or DC, or New Jersey  rip each others hair out on national television or throw $50,000 birthday parties for three year olds.

Anyway, check out Downsized and if I find anything that works for me on MoneySavingMom, I'll be sure to let you know! Lots of Love!
This is my Bella Boo wearing her $50.00 Juicy Couture sweatshirt. NOT one of my smartest buys (the dangers of mixing cocktails and shopping) but she LOVES it!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Z0mg Jenny, you are adorable. In related news, look at Mint.com, it's a free personal finance software..Lee is addicted to it. There's also Feedthepig.org, which I found watching Clark Howard on CNNMoney, and 6PM.com, which I found watching Dr. Oz....humph...more strikingly similar behaviors to add to our already long-standing list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.....I have been on Mint.com for 2 years. I'll have to check the other two out. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

    ReplyDelete